American History Revised
American History Revised by Blackstone Audio, Inc. at Spring Brook Audio. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. This spirited reexamination of American history delves into our past to expose hundreds of startling facts that never made it into the textbooks, and
This spirited reexamination of American history delves into our past to expose hundreds of startling facts that never made it into the textbooks, and highlights how little-known people and events played surprisingly influential roles in the great American story.
We tend to think of history as settled, set in stone, but American History Revised reveals a past that is filled with ironies, surprises, and misconceptions. Living abroad for 12 years gave author Seymour Morris Jr. the opportunity to view his country as an outsider and compelled him to examine American history from a fresh perspective. As Morris colorfully illustrates through the 200 historical vignettes that make up this book, much of our nation's past is quite different - and far more remarkable - than we thought.
We discover the following:
- In the 1950s Ford was approached by two Japanese companies begging for a joint venture. Ford declined their offers, calling them makers of "tin cars". The two companies were Toyota and Nissan.
- Eleanor Roosevelt and most women's groups opposed the Equal Rights Amendment forbidding gender discrimination.
- The two generals who ended the Civil War weren't Grant and Lee.
- The #1 best-selling American book of all time was written in one day.
- The Dutch made a bad investment buying Manhattan for $24.
- Two young girls aimed someday to become First Lady - and succeeded.
- Three times, a private financier saved the United States from bankruptcy.
Organized into 10 thematic chapters, American History Revised plumbs American history's numerous inconsistencies, twists, and turns to make it come alive again.
|Manufacturer:||Blackstone Audio, Inc.|
|Publisher:||Blackstone Audio, Inc.|
|Studio:||Blackstone Audio, Inc.|