Product Description & Reviews
Essentials of U.S. Governance for Foreign Diplomats and Embassy Staff
As a foreign diplomat or embassy staff member based in the United States, you need a good understanding of the U.S. government to work effectively. This three-part series of courses introduces you to the structure of the three branches of government, the dynamics of Congress, and federal rulemaking and the federal regulatory process.
Part I: The U.S. Government in a Nutshell:
- Historical overview of the U.S. government
- Learn about the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the federal government--their roles and relationships
- How federal agencies work and what they do
- How the federal government differs from state government
Part II: The Dynamics of the Legislative Process
- The three elements that drive Congress: politics, policy, and procedure
- The structure and organization of Congress
- Committees--Congress at work
- How a bill becomes a law
Part III: The Federal Regulatory Process
- Rulemaking, types of rules, and the purposes of rulemaking procedures
- Elements of proposed and final rulemaking notices
- What happens inside the agency and the public's role in the process
- Informal processes that influence rulemaking
- The Office of Management & Budget's role in the regulatory process
Total run time: 279 minutes. Includes course materials.
Three (3) Capitol Learning Audio Courses on one (1) CD, mp3 format, from TheCapitol Net.
We help you understand Washington and Congress. TM
Features & Highlights
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by TheCapitol.Net, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
ean: 9781587330322, isbn: 1587330326,
Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell
For federal agency staff or those who prepare reports and documents for colleagues who draft legislation, this audio course highlights key drafting rules, and offers suggestions on legislative style, grammar, and wording. We review the basic rules of construction as outlined in the U.S. Code, and discuss OMB's clearance process.
Total run time: 85 minutes. Includes course materials.
Capitol Learning Audio Course on CD, mp3
ean: 9781587330230, isbn: 1587330237,
Senate Scheduling and Floor Procedures:
The Role of the Majority Leader, Raising Measures, and the Use of Amendments
This audio course with Walter Oleszek examines what takes place during the various stages of a typical day on the Senate floor.
- The Senate's two calendars: Executive Calendar and the Calendar of Business
- Compare and contrast the scheduling of minor versus major legislation
- Analyze the role of unanimous consent and other means of bringing bills to the floor